Sedona to Petrified Forest and Painted Desert
Any day that starts with a bunny wabbit outside your window has to be a good one! After breakfast and car packing we leave Sedona for the last time. It's been fabulous but it's time to move on.
![]() |
| Isn't he adorable? |
![]() |
| Never saw a McDonald's M was wasn't yellow! |
Our first stop is supposed to be Meteor Crater National Landmark so we can be awed and amazed by the huge hole in the ground. It's a national landmark, so maybe my national parks pass will work. It seems odd, though, that there are so many commercial, cutsie signs leading up to it. Well, it turns out that a private company owns this national landmark and they want fifteen bucks to come see the hole in the ground. I'd seen it years ago with Harry b.k. and Marilyn just humors me on the geology stuff anyway, so we turn around thinking what they can do with their fifteen bucks! I'm still pretty ticked off that a private company can own a national landmark!
![]() |
| The whole affair looks just this tacky! |
![]() |
| Oh yes, and a dust devil! |
Eventually there is a sign for the Petrified Forest and although it isn't the exit I had thought we would use, we take it and cross more open land before coming to the southern entrance. Just outside the park there are dueling gift shops on either side of the street with pieces of petrified wood for sale. I'm sure they were collected legally, outside the park. We buy some ice for the coolers and proceed northward.
And Route 66 has returned to haunt us!
Even if you have seen petrified wood before there is an enormous kick from seeing it in its natural setting and such abundance! We stop at many of the southern vistas and do some of the hikes and as we go further north we realize that we are also seeing the Painted Desert! So gorgeous!
In one of the parking lots we meet my old friend, Mr. Raven.
And back to the beautiful petrified trees!
![]() |
| check out the micro-crystals! |
![]() |
| Scattered like a giant's toothpicks! |
![]() |
| A good geology photo always has something for scale! |
![]() |
| You can really see the bark in this one. |
And in case you think I was kidding about the sand, have a look:
It's not too far back to Holbrook and how hard can it be to find a Ramada right on the main highway. Well, if you don't know that they've changed to a Howard Johnson's, pretty darn hard! Two phone calls and a false stop later, we arrive. We had pulled into a Southern Comfort to ask for help but the desk clerk was on the phone to tech support. There was a young man in the lobby who said he lived in the town. When I asked him where the Ramada was he pointed next door. I said, "No, that's a Howard Johnson's and pointed to the large sign." He looked like one of us was living in a different dimension and said, "Well, it used to be a Ramada!". One more phone call and we're home free.
Our desk clerk, Patricia, is a funny lady. When I told her never to call her daughter by her middle name, she said she never calls her, she just throws something at her! She also showed us the email she had JUST received about our reservation. We showed her our email that was dated April 12th. She said they do that to her all the time. Must be a terrible situation for her! Luckily she had a room for us and even made sure we are on the ground floor.
Patricia recommended The Mesa for dinner. It's an Italian restaurant with a sports bar attached; but they are really separate entities. The salad is fresh and my chicken cacciatore is delicious. As usual I can't eat it all; but I was smarter this time and eat all the goodies before starting on the pasta. That way only some pasta was left. I might have eaten it all if the garlic bread hadn't been so light and tasty!
Seems like we're back on Route 66 for the second time today!
Back home to blog and bed!
































Mother Nature indeed! The national news shows the whole area will see flash flooding today. Be careful!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize how far behind I got in following you! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for all the warnings! it is wonderful to be cared about! We're going out first thing in the morning, before the storms hit. We'll be safely on the highway before anything awful happens. The sun is shining brightly as we head to breakfast.
ReplyDeleteHow how was it out on the sands? Looks gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIt was pretty darn hot; but we were dressed for it and had lots of water. I thought is was gorgeous, too!
ReplyDelete